Last season, I started using my Lodge Cast Iron pan to cook on top of the Weber Q1200. I tried it because it’s easy to setup the grill and I have it converted to connect right to the low-pressure propane outlet on the outside of our 19BH GeoPro. The pan fits perfectly and the grill lid closes over it making it almost oven-like. I have a small rollup aluminum table that easily pops up to give cooking space and the grill connects quickly. With the cast iron pan, I can cook or bake almost anything. I used this method to cook this recipe and it was a big hit.Jump to Recipe
One Pot Pesto Chicken Penne
A campsite luxury, this dish melts in your mouth and satifies all sorts of appetites. Try it and it will quickly earn a place on your camping menu rotation……
Servings 4 people
- 8 oz penne pasta whole wheat
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- ⅓ cup pesto genoese
- 3 cups spinach
- 3 oz cream cheese Note: look for 1oz tubes to make this easy.
- 1/4 cup mozarella cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp sundried tomatoes julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill chicken for 4 minutes each side. Slice and place in a cast iron pan.
- Add garlic to pan with chicken. Cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and sautee until wilted. Add penne and stir to slightly toast.
- Add chicken broth and milk. Close lid or cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Stir in cream cheese and shredded cheese. Toss with sundried tomoatoes and serve.